Friday, March 1, 2013

Ruby Bridges

As we have been learning about notable people, this week we have been learning about a girl names Ruby Bridges who at the age of six was an integral piece to ending segregation.  Ruby went to the William Frantz Elementary School in New Orleans, Louisiana.   Ruby was the first black child to attend an all white school in the South.

Learning Target:
     I can tell three facts I have learned about Ruby Bridges.
     I can write a sentence using an important vocabulary word that is        
              relevant to Ruby Bridges.  (segregation, integration,
              purpose, brave, confident, compassion, and spirit)
      I can sing the song Ruby's Shoes that is above from youtube as I
              follow along with the words in my I CAN READ 
              NOTEBOOK.  

To continue to learn more about Ruby Bridges you can visit the Ruby Bridges Foundation online at:
rubybridges.com


 I now know that experience comes to us for a purpose, and if we follow the guidance of the spirit within us, we will probably find that purpose is a good one!
                                                                                             ~Ruby Bridges~

Be looking for a sheet with detailed homework directions that will be coming home sometime in the near future about our Notable Person Homework!  Don't do anything yet until you have the detail directions in your hand!