Saturday, March 9, 2013

Show Way by Jacqueline Woodson

      We read the book Show Way written by JacquelineWoodson and illustrated by Hudson Talbott to build on our background schema about slavery as we continue to learn about Harriet Tubman.  We read the book as a read aloud without sharing the pictures as we read.  The children were encouraged to visualize as the teachers took turns reading the book.  As we read, each time we stopped reading, the children did a "Stop and Jot".  The children first drew a picture of what they imagined was happening in the book.  Next, the children wrote down what they were thinking about in this section of the book.  After that, each child wrote a question he/she was still having about the book.  To end the read aloud the children were shown the picture of the picture of the underground railroad secret quilt that was used to helps slaves find their way to freedom and asked what the quilt represented in the story.
       After the lesson we reviewed how to make an inference using our three step method:
                   I see...
                   I think...
                   Therefore...
You would be amazed with the deep thinking that first graders are capable of using this process.  Try using this method with your child at home also.
    
     Learning Target:
                 
        I can make an inference using:
                                       I see...
                                       I think...
                                      Therefore...
                                            and  complete my thinking.
         I can stop and draw a picture that I am visualizing as I listen to a story.
         I can ask two clarifying questions about what I am reading.

Here are some other books you might want to read and share with your child.

                                   

 We are always so excited to hear about how families are getting involved in our classroom learning!  Enjoy learning along with us about history and notable leaders.


If I could have convinced more slaves that they were slaves, I could have freed thousands more. 
~Harriet Tubman~